“Child Support” is growing and we need the support of our readers. Because we do not advertise on our site, we must ask our loyal readers to continue supporting us and help us grow. We are in need of your donations 5, 10, 15, 25, 50 or 100 will help us reach our budget goal of $300,000 to manage our year end budget. Child Support has managed to touch over 100,000 thousand satisfied reader, and we continue to enjoy the added comments. Thanks for your continued support Kenneth
Tuesday, August 4, 2009
Things you might not know about child-support payments
by Your Voices
Monday August 03, 2009, 2:05 PM
Voice: Dan Fish, Bay City
Ten things you might not know about friend of the court:
1. In the summer and on holidays when you have your kids 50 percent of the time, you still have to pay the full amount. They just changed this one. If you can't feed your kids, oh well. Pay up.
2. When your arrearage hits $2,000, it goes on your credit report. You can get out of credit card and bad mortgage debt, but nobody will help you with this debt. Bankruptcy is not an option. This is your fault.
3. It doesn't matter who left who, or who cheated on who. Michigan is a no-fault state. Quit whining and pay up.
4. Your children, no matter how old, are not allowed in hearings or conferences. They are not important. Your money is. Bring it.
5. Whatever you do, do not do any side work or play in a band. You will regret it.
6. When you lose your job or get laid off, your support amount does not go down. How dare you lose your job. Pay up.
7. You pay the taxes on child support. If you are behind, you do not get tax returns or stimulus checks. Oh well.
8. If you quit your job, you can get a lawyer and health insurance. If you work for minimum wage, forget it. You need to make more money.
9. Don't bother bringing in past-due bills or eviction notices. Not important. If you think your ex is not spending the money on your kids, accountability is not an option. Pay up.
10. It doesn't matter if you or your ex is living with anybody. If you live alone, that's your fault.
If this seems kind of bitter, you would be, too. So I'd like to thank all the real "deadbeat dads" that don't care about their kids for making things harder for the rest of us.
Posted by Jett at 8:13 AM